C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Electric Avenue: EV Competition Means Off-Ramp For Some
- Several years ago, we created a group of “new energies/sustainability” stock indices, starting on 1/1/2019 – the EV index is the worst performer, despite Tesla.
- Many companies are teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, some are already there, and others will, in our view, follow. The special sauce is not special enough.
- In a developed industry, we would expect consolidation, but combining two different companies with distinct products and both burning cash gains nothing.
- Also facing up to reality are fuels/materials from crops – input costs are too high, competition with the food chain is real, capital costs significant, stocks are down.
- Otherwise, we look at polyester recycling and its high cost, Oxy’s grand carbon plans, who pays for blue ammonia, and why some hydrogen hubs will lose money.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams