C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Chocolatewashing – What benefit does new Mars wrapper bring?
- A story picked up by the BBC discusses Mars trialing paper wrappers for the Mars Bar in the UK; the claims of carbon neutrality concern more than the waste claims.
- This is likely a public pressure move, with the path of least resistance being to use an inferior and more costly (life cycle) option versus better public education.
- So many proposed solutions to climate change and circularity will make things worse but there is no focused bipartisan effort to educate – so dumb stuff happens.
- Another potential to waste a lot of money because of the wrong focus is Hydrogen, which needs both costs and demand to work, and is not a magic bullet.
- Otherwise, we look at misleading carbon capture messaging, the cost of doing solar in the US, more ESG fighting with the oil companies, and the weather.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams