C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Fossil Fuel Use Will Not Simply Vanish: Accepting This Will Lead To More Balanced Climate Policy & A Greater Chance Of Success
- Our analysis quickly debunks the idea that fossil fuel use will fall abruptly due to climate initiatives – climate policy priorities need to be set with this in mind.
- Some fossil fuel use decarbonization is much easier than others – e.g. power generation vs transport fuels – different approaches & goals are required
- Even with a priority focus and aggressive EV roll-out, transport fuel demand is unlikely to fall materially until the early 2030s. Natural gas could peak much later
- Regardless, price inflation around renewable power is more likely than the expected deflation and could be out of control without common-sense policy
- Otherwise, we focus on chemical recycling, hydrogen transport, and CCS in the US Gulf. Battle lines are being drawn in ESG investing and accountability.
See PDF below for all charts