C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
ESG Investing Not Ready For Primetime & Too Young To Drive
- A recent study (and fund behavior) suggests that the ESG investment community is ill-equipped to step up and police climate change if COP26 efforts fall short.
- Government bodies are acting too slowly to provide adequate guidelines for ESG investors, preventing the formation of active ESG funds and sector investment.
- Recent energy price inflation may divert COP26 attention away from ESG policy to support hydrocarbons, though any sign of backtracking will face harsh criticism.
- We hope for globally consistent agreement of decarbonization mechanisms – which means a carbon price to encourage the proper behavior and investments.
- Otherwise, is recycling less important than carbon?
See PDF below for all charts