C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Coming Up Short: Materials Availability To Limit Climate Progress
- There is mounting evidence of material shortages to meet climate goals and do not find markets aligned to fix it. Our study frames IEA views and general trends.
- Specialty metals are the focus of this report, but aluminum and other materials could also fall short of needs for renewable power, hydrogen, and EVs.
- Specialty metals pricing is up 50+% in two years, and this is before demand picks up in response to increased orders for EV and wind/solar components.
- The ESG investment frenzy is partly to blame, and we look again at resourcing, questioning how qualified ESG money managers are to make the right decisions.
- Otherwise, we look at attitudes to recycling, more CCS, hydrogen, and ESG investing momentum, as well as Aramco’s social unrest projection.
See PDF below for all charts