C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Private Investment Will Make Or Break The Inflation Act
- Many are hailing the spending side of the Inflation Reduction Act as a catalyst for real change in climate-related investment and even see positives for fossil fuels.
- The funding in the bill is spread widely and targets communities and projects – attracting third-party capital will be critical to achieving many goals.
- CCS is straightforward: the increase in 45Q should get private investment going – other aspects of transition carry risks that may be too high for some investors.
- We look at the importance of stimulating investment in materials – not just energy and note that we have already seen some prices bounce – like copper.
- Otherwise, we look at why R-PET prices are collapsing, what LyondellBasell might do with its refinery, CCS in Europe, and Bloom Energy 2Q22 results.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams