C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Power Base: We Are Sailing Too Close to The Wind (and Sun)
- The Europeans are closer to wind and solar tipping points and are concerned about baseload power and the exorbitant cost of getting there with wind and solar.
- Alternative and accepted baseload low-carbon power is needed – hydro can help but not enough. Nuclear and natural gas with CCS are both logical and economical.
- Meanwhile, the incentive war is heating up as the IRA pulls investments to the US. In our view, Europe does not have the cash to compete – the UK has options.
- Recycling headlines are picking up as our anticipated shortfalls of recycled materials is more broadly recognized – some economics get worse each day.
- We also discuss the lithium market, its value, and emissions. We also highlight the likely decline in auto and EV demand and its likely impact on many in 2023.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams