Daily Chemical Reaction
- The global chemical production cost curve has risen during a period of production cuts to deal with oversupply, setting up a potential cost rebound for downstream buyers.
- We discuss Chevron’s decision to repurchase ~20% of its stock and lift its dividend and why energy transition and downstream Capex growth will outpace upstream efforts.
- We highlight Dow, Axalta, Sherwin-Williams, Valero, and other 4Q22 reports and 2023 outlooks, and we discuss a few commodity chemical price developments in 1Q23.
- We add to baseload power commentary in our latest ESG weekly, flagging the recent Form Energy news, and we comment on Dow and Mura Technology initiatives.
- We highlight relative macroeconomic data postings and regional chemical sector demand views, and we note recent US exporter benefits from a weakening US dollar.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams