C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Carbon Capture – Increasingly the Key To Energy Transition
- Decarbonizing hydrocarbon use is in the spotlight as countries reel from a year when energy security has been higher on the agenda than energy transition.
- Our expectation that more oil and gas, especially gas, will be needed, than in original plans is turning out to be correct but large-scale CCS was part of our view.
- The need to align safe sequestration locations with economics and permitting is the challenge from here – Malaysia for example has ample space but no price.
- The UK has unveiled a bold but expensive plan to support CCS and coastal European countries will likely need to do the same or lose investment to the UK.
- Otherwise, the questions of the critical material get louder, although prices move lower, recycling targets look challenged and renewable inflation continues.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams