C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
A Bridge Too Far – Why Transition Progress Is Slowing
- Progress in energy transition and other sustainable-related initiatives is slowing, especially relative to expectations – roadblocks are emerging, many financial.
- The tightrope between encouraging progress and avoiding pain (cost increases) is likely impossible to navigate – the use of mandates and/or taxes is likely needed.
- The contrast between European and US recycling is interesting, where penalties in Europe and government-sponsored infrastructure have increased activity.
- We touch on the rising challenges of shipping fuel and note that every path (except sailing with the wind) requires clean hydrogen.
- Otherwise, we look at the downstream move by Vestas, recycling PVC, recent actions in SAF, and Aker Carbon Capture’s modular approach to carbon capture.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams