C-MACC Weekly Sustainability Report
Robbery A Salt and Battery: The Genesis of Major Change?
- The battery, battery component, and storage industries are changing rapidly, driven in part by new technologies, encouraged by high prices and strong demand.
- In addition to EVs, the more we pull on solar and wind-based power the greater the need for some sort of storage – batteries are expensive but could get cheaper.
- The amount of money being poured into direct lithium extraction from brine could change not only the supply dynamic but also the cost curve for lithium.
- At the same time, many storage projects do not need the density that lithium-ion technology provides and would use something cheaper if it were available.
- Otherwise, we look and the lunacy of putting all our chips on wind and solar, the collapse in recycling economics, CCS delays, the Air Products gamble, and COP28.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams