Daily Chemical Reaction
Weak Consumer Sentiment & Unexpected, Negative Clean Energy Sector Shocks – Not Positive For The Energy Transition
- US consumer sentiment fell for the fourth consecutive month in November, and adverse clean energy participant notices have risen – both favor lower energy transition investor risk tolerance.
- We argue that the unexpected magnitude of the issues at Plug Power has negative contagion effects on peers and new clean technologies seeking price, cost, and investor/funding support.
- We discuss a few slides from the Braskem 3Q23 report, the renewed interest in Braskem from ADNOC in media reports, and we display Braskem’s results and ambitions in green polyethylene.
- NW Europe and Asia natural gas prices have increased relative to US levels since mid-2023, and we display the chemical chains with the most significant links to natural gas and electricity prices.
- We highlight the YTD increase in interest rates that is weighing on US consumers, discuss a few critical indicators coming from China, and display a relative rank of economic policies by country.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams