C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
The Hydrogen Excitement Is Real But No Large Clean Volumes Soon
- The enthusiasm for clean hydrogen is understandable as its versatility as a fuel and as a starting point for clean fuels and chemicals is unconstrained.
- Today we see small green projects based on isolated sources of limited cheap renewable power – mostly, these are focused on transport applications.
- Large volume green hydrogen waits for large volume green power and will need to compete with other power needs – blue hydrogen needs permits and capital.
- Meanwhile, activists are targeting everything, and the industry needs empirical evidence to refute claims that almost all energy transition plans are bad.
- Otherwise, we look at carbon taxes/pricing and problems with regional policy differences. We also question wind ambitions and take another look at nuclear.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams