C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
COP28 – What Should We Expect – Oil and Gas vs Everyone Else?
- Just because the host of COP28 is a NOC does not mean that the meeting will be a defense of fossil fuels, but it might be, and you could argue that it should.
- The UAE pledge to hit net zero by 2045 raises the bar for others, but does not mean that the country will stop producing hydrocarbons – CCS and credits are key.
- COP28 will likely see heated debate about the future role of fossil fuels, but the narrative must change toward emissions if meaningful progress is to be made.
- If the US can stop the in-fighting, balance between renewable investments and decarbonized natural gas use may prove to be most effective – net zero by 2045?
- Otherwise, we look again at why taking climate seriously could be cheaper than not, the good and the bad of recycling, too little solar power & not enough nuclear.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams