C-MACC Hydrogen Weekly Update 19
- Weekly Theme: Hydrogen Sources
- News Update
- Projects Update
- Ammonia/Methanol Update
- Power Update
- Next Week: Deep Dive On Ammonia
- As low-cost green hydrogen becomes more elusive, we would expect increased efforts to find alternative sources of hydrogen. Gasification and pyrolysis are technologies that show promise.
- The history of gasification is not good, but technology is improving, and syngas production can drive both fuels and materials production – finding low-cost feedstock is the challenge, as is scale.
- Pyrolysis is very dependent on what it is you are heating up and your source of heat – as with gasification, you do not produce a pure stream of hydrogen, but it can be captured for fuel/materials.
- Europe appears very disadvantaged in the table below as it does not have the low-cost feedstocks or the energy at the right price – Europe should rethink its attitude toward CCS to add some options.
- Our work with multiple clients and many technologies suggests that there will likely be opportunities for all options, but it will be very situation and location-specific.
Exhibit 1: There are some other nascent technologies/routes that are not yet ready for primetime.