C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Comfortably Numb: The COP27 Discussion Is Easier Than The Need
- While COP27 has been characterized by platitudes and agreements in principle, there is a lot more focus on how much money needs to be spent than on who pays.
- Estimates of spending needs are varied, and poorly defined by “where needed”, but the numbers are very large and relentless – year after year – through 2050.
- Well-defined incentives are likely the only way to get things done, but getting global agreement on incentives will be hard, as will compensating poorer nations.
- Meanwhile, water is pushing its way into the front row – more concerns over supply and more need for action – we still like the investment space very much.
- Otherwise, we take on a couple of recycling issues, oxy-combustion, other overly stretched power options, coal, and biofuels.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams