Daily Chemical Reaction
Maybe We Need Another Hero – Western Economies Remain in Thunderdome, New BASF Supercomputer Set For Battle
- Consensus Asia consumer price inflation expectations for 2023 have fallen in May relative to the US and Eurozone, suggesting it will benefit from lower inflation for a third consecutive year.
- We highlight the significant ramp-up in clean energy investment relative to fossil fuels, as shown in the IEA World Energy Investment report – a trend benefiting China relative to the US.
- We discuss the build-out of critical mineral supply chains, where China holds a leadership role relative to Western markets, implying supply chain risk surround many Western net-zero targets.
- We flag the push at Dow for bio-based ethylene cracker feedstocks, the launch of the new BASF supercomputer, and the global reach of Nippon Shokubai in acrylics and super absorbents.
- We highlight the recessionary conditions facing Germany, the significant food inflation that the country has seen during the past six months, and its falling export product market expectations.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams