C-MACC Weekly “CRETER” (Climate etc.)
Recycling: Beware Of The Misleading PR
- The world is full of recycling initiatives, but few make commercial sense and address other environmental issues, such as curbing GHG emissions.
- Chemical (advanced) recycling and incineration dispose of waste efficiently. However, costs are high due to sizable energy needs and required decarbonizing.
- Recycling hard to separate polymers into durables may be a compromise that works for all parties as emissions are low and virgin polymer demand stays high.
- Some of the dire weather predictions associated with climate change might impact material availability in the US, but may also be a reason to invest in nuclear.
- Otherwise, we evaluate carbon taxes versus prices, the challenges of finding enough cheap renewable power, and the value of the IEA.
See PDF below for all charts, tables and diagrams